Re: syslog_line_prefix - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: syslog_line_prefix
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 14:58 -0600, Joshua Tolley wrote:
>> Actually the thing I want is to be able to send some stuff to syslog,
>> and some to a file, and other stuff to another file. This patch
>> doesn't do all that, but lays the necessary groundwork.

> Then why not send everything to syslog and have syslog filter it to the
> places you want to?  That is what syslog is for, after all.

We send all syslog output with the same identifier/priority/facility,
so there's not a lot of hope of getting syslog to do any useful
filtering (at least not with the versions of syslog I'm familiar with).

Possibly it'd be worth trying to make that more configurable, but
that would require a lot of the same infrastructure and complexity
we're arguing about now.  And it'd still be no help to Windows users.