Re: Troubles dumping a very large table. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Troubles dumping a very large table.
Date
List pgsql-performance
"Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Yeah, the average expansion of bytea data in COPY format is about 3X :-(
>> So you need to get the max row length down to around 300mb.  I'm curious
>> how you got the data in to start with --- were the values assembled on
>> the server side?

> Wouldn't binary style COPY be more forgiving in this regard?  (if so,
> the OP might have better luck running COPY BINARY)...

Yeah, if he's willing to use COPY BINARY directly.  AFAIR there is not
an option to get pg_dump to use it.  But maybe "pg_dump -s" together
with a manual dump of the table data is the right answer.  It probably
beats shoving some of the rows aside as he's doing now...

            regards, tom lane