Re: posgres can't login? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: posgres can't login?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Tom Allison <tallison@tacocat.net> writes:
> 2006-11-11 08:27:10 EST 6158 [unknown] LOG:  connection received: host=[local]
> 2006-11-11 08:27:10 EST 6158 postgres FATAL:  password authentication failed for
> user "postgres"

> I get this at every startup but I can't find anything that does not work.

Perhaps this is the trace of pg_ctl probing to see whether the
postmaster's up yet?  Normally it should stop after one attempt
though, because it's programmed to interpret a "no password supplied"
failure as meaning the postmaster is up.  Perhaps you are launching
pg_ctl in an account that has a ~/.pg_pass file that is wrong?

            regards, tom lane