Re: pg_config : postgresql.conf adjustments? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_config : postgresql.conf adjustments?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com> writes:
> On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>> This seems far outside pg_config's charter.

> Obviously he wants a tool that allows setting parameters from a shell
> script or something for use within pg_autotune.  I don't see why it is
> bad to have a tool to do this; if someone can use it (and modify
> postgresql.conf) obviously he has permission to read (and write)
> postgresql.conf.

Well, you could do that with a sed command (twinkle).  But I wasn't
necessarily objecting to the abstract notion of having such a tool ...
I just don't think it's in pg_config's scope.  You could more easily
make a case for adding the functionality to pg_ctl.  Or make a new tool.