Re: pg_dumpall between Linux and FreeBSD. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Timur V. Irmatov
Subject Re: pg_dumpall between Linux and FreeBSD.
Date
List pgsql-general
Francisco!

Thursday, September 12, 2002, 12:37:57 AM, You wrote:

FJR> I have 1 FreeBSD machine and 1 Linux, Red Hat, machine.
FJR> I will need to periodically do a pg_dumpall from the Linux machine to the
FJR> FreeBSD machine.

FJR> This has been a problem because on Linux the superuser ID is postgres and
FJR> on FreeBSD it is pgsl.

FJR> When I try to restore to the FreeBSD machine it crashes because it can not
FJR> connect to the postgres user ID. I replaced all occurrences of postgres
FJR> with pgsql to get the load to work, but it was very time consuming (2.9 GB
FJR> file).

FJR> Any suggestions on how to easily move data between these two systems?

The best and the right way is to eliminate difference between
PostgreSQL accounts on your machines. You should either switch to
postgres user on BSD or pgsql on Linux.. This is quite simple, i
think..

Sincerely Yours,
Timur
mailto:itvthor@sdf.lonestar.org