Re: Cast for text->Integer missing in 8.3.5 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Cast for text->Integer missing in 8.3.5
Date
List pgsql-general
"Nykolyn, Andrew" <andrew.nykolyn@ngc.com> writes:
> The above has all worked great to get me past the two issues described
> so far.  Now I am having a problem with: function quote_literal is not
> unique.

And you're going to have a few other problems after you get past that.
You can't just insert implicit casts and expect that it will affect only
the situations you want it to affect.  The reason we downgraded the
implicit casts to begin with was exactly that they kicked in too often.

You might try backing off to just having the special || operators
and not the implicit casts, and see if that gets you to where you want,
or at least close enough that fixing your remaining code properly is not
too big a task.  Extra operators are not nearly as dangerous as implicit
casts.

            regards, tom lane