Filesystem and Disk Partitioning for New Server Setup - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From dstibrany
Subject Filesystem and Disk Partitioning for New Server Setup
Date
List pgsql-performance
I'm about to install a new production server and wanted some advice regarding
filesystems and disk partitioning.

The server is:
- Dell PowerEdge R430
- 1 x Intel Xeon E5-2620 2.4GHz
- 32 GB RAM
- 4 x 600GB 10k SAS
- PERC H730P Raid Controller with 2GB cache

The drives will be set up in one RAID-10 volume and I'll be installing
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS as the OS. The server will be dedicated to running
PostgreSQL.

I'm trying to decide:

1) Which filesystem to use (most people seem to suggest xfs).
2) Whether to use LVM (I'm leaning against it because it seems like it adds
additional complexity).
3) How to partition the volume. Should I just create one partition on / and
create a 16-32GB swap partition? Any reason to get fancy with additional
partitions given it's all on one volume?

I'd like to keep things simple to start, but not shoot myself in the foot at
the same time.

Thanks!

Dave