Re: Patch - Debug builds without optimization - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch - Debug builds without optimization
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Excerpts from Greg Smith's message of lun jun 20 00:25:08 -0400 2011:
>> The peg utility script I use makes a reinstall as simple as:
>>
>> stop
>> peg build

> But you're building the entire server there, which was Tom's point --
> you only need to build and reinstall the backend.

Right, I was trying to illustrate how to have minimal turnaround time
when testing a small code change.  Rebuilding from scratch is slow
enough that you lose focus while waiting.  (Or I do, anyway.)

Granted, stuff like ccache can help with that, but why not adopt a
process that's not slow in the first place?