Re: Modifying postgresql.org file - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Owen Jacobson
Subject Re: Modifying postgresql.org file
Date
List pgsql-sql
Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 08:15:46AM -0800, Ken Hill wrote:
> > It has been suggested to me to increase my work_mem to make queries
> > preform faster. I believe I do this in the 'postgresql.org' file.  I
> > seem to have two of these files:
> >
> > /etc/postgresql/7.4/main/postgresql.org
> > /usr/share/postgresql/7.4/postgresql.conf.sample
>
> Where did you get this version of Postgres?  The main config file
> should be $PGDATA/postgresql.conf.  Anything else is probably the
> result of your system's packaging having done some magic.  But in any
> case, unless I'm misremembering, the work_mem setting isn't in 7.4.

In 8.0, the setting sort_mem was renamed to work_mem (sayeth the 8.0.0 release notes).  The 7.4 documentation describes
thesame features for sort_mem that are now described under work_mem, so adjusting sort_mem should be appropriate.

-Owen