Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> So, when I was first getting started with PG however many years ago, I
> was ecstatic to see my name show up in a commit message.  Hugely
> increasing our release notes to include a bunch of names all shoved
> together without any indication of what was done by each individual
> doesn't feel, to me at least, as likely to change that feeling in
> either direction.

> On the flip side, I would be strongly against *not* including authors
> and reviewers in the commit messages, regardless of some big list in the
> release notes.

> Basically, I see the value of giving credit in the commit history and
> the mailing lists as huge while having a long list of names in the
> release notes really isn't valuable.

We'd have to continue the practice of crediting people in individual
commit messages in any case, because the commit log is the raw material
from which the release notes are made.

I have no strong feelings either way about whether we should change the
current practice of crediting authors but not reviewers in the release
notes.  I don't feel that it's broken as-is, but I'm open to change if
enough people want to.