Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> You don't :vote: on stuff like this ...

Why not, exactly?

I wasn't aware that any of core had a non-vetoable right to apply
any patch we liked regardless of the number and strength of the
objections.  AFAIK, we resolve differences of opinion by discussion,
followed by a vote if the discussion doesn't produce a consensus.

It was pretty clear that Thomas' original patch lost the vote, or
would have lost if we'd bothered to hold a formal vote.  I don't
see anyone arguing against the notion of making XLOG location more
easily configurable --- it was just the notion of making it depend
on environment variables that scared people.