Re: deprecating contrib for PGXN - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: deprecating contrib for PGXN
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On May 18, 2011, at 3:27 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

> "David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
>> Yes. But if they're that decoupled, then they ought to be in separate
>> distributions.
>
> I somehow fail to picture how you map distributions with debian
> packages.  The simple way is to have a distribution be a single source
> package that will produce as many binary packages as it contains
> extensions.

How do CPAN modules get packaged? Example:
 http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/all/libsvn-notify-perl/filelist

> Now, if a single extension appears in more than one distribution, as far
> as debian packaging is concerned, you're hosed.

Yeah. That might happen, but should be uncommon.

> So I still think we need to manually package for debian…

Well, maybe packages could be auto-generated but vetted by a human?

Just a thought.

Best,

David