Re: Spinlocks and compiler/memory barriers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Spinlocks and compiler/memory barriers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2014-07-01 23:21:07 +0100, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
>> Also if you're struggling for Sun buildfarm animals, recent versions of QEMU
>> will quite happily install and run later versions of 32-bit Solaris over
>> serial, and 2.0 even manages to give you a cgthree framebuffer for the full
>> experience.

> Well. I have to admit I'm really not interested in investing that much
> time in something I've no stake in. If postgres developers have to put
> emulated machines to develop features something imo went seriously
> wrong. That's more effort than at least I'm willing to spend.

Perhaps more to the point, I have no faith at all that an emulator will
mimic multiprocessor timing behavior to the level of detail needed to
tell whether memory-barrier-related logic works.  See the VAX discussion
just a couple days ago.