Re: moving to PostgreSQL from MS-SQL and from Oracle, looking for feature comparison information - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yuri Budilov
Subject Re: moving to PostgreSQL from MS-SQL and from Oracle, looking for feature comparison information
Date
List pgsql-general
MANY THANKS to everyone who replied !
Keep up great work!

more things (critical for very large and mission critical databases)

- database row/page compression -

it looks to me that there is no page/block compression available on PostgreSQL 9.4 along the lines of MS-SQL/Oracle
row/pagecompression features?
I realize that there is some compression of individual varchar/text data type columns but there is nothing like a
completerow compression, index page compression and page/dictionary compression? Is that correct?

database and transaction log backup compression? not available?

- recovery from hardware or software corruption -

suppose I am running a mission critical database (which is also relatively large, say > 1TB) and I encounter a
corruptionof some sort (say, due to hardware or software bug) on individual database pages or a number of pages in a
database

How do I recover quickly and without losing any transactions? MS-SQL and Oracle can restore individual pages (or sets
ofpages) or restore individual database files and then allow me to roll forward transaction log to bring back every
lasttransaction. It can be done on-line or off-line. How do I achieve the same in PostgreSQL 9.4? One solution I see
maybe via complete synchronous replication of the database to another server. I am but sure what happens to the corrupt
page(s)- does it get transmitted corrupt to the mirror server so I end up with same corruption on both databases or is
theresome protection against this?

many thanks again
Yuri