Re: Estimating HugePages Requirements? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Estimating HugePages Requirements?
Date
List pgsql-admin
> On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 9:15 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Just try to start the server and see if it complains.

> Well, I have to *stop* the existing one first, most likely, otherwise
> there won't be enough huge pages (or indeed memory) available.

I'm not following.  If you have a production server running, its
pg_shmem_allocations total should already be a pretty good guide
to what you need to configure HugePages for.  You need to know to
round that up, of course --- but if you aren't building a lot of
slop into the HugePages configuration anyway, you'll get burned
down the road.

            regards, tom lane