Re: Patch review - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch review
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> If you think it would be easy to get patch submitters to categorize,
> realize we have some very skilled people who don't even send email
> reports of bugs, they just report them on IRC and can't be bothered with
> email.  If email is a burden for them, imagine filling in a web form.
> Perhaps we can have two ways of submitting patches --- one that
> categorizes and another that is more freeform via email?  Patch appliers
> would have to deal with both.

Let's not swat flies with steam hammers.  There are various sizes of
problem here, and they need different sizes of solution.  In particular,
we see a lot of bugs that can be fixed-the-same-day, and those shouldn't
get into the patch queue mechanism at all.  It's the stuff that needs
some extended thought and discussion that needs tracking.