Re: Unable to create postgis 2.1.5 extension in PG9.2.8/rhel6 - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Devrim Gündüz
Subject Re: Unable to create postgis 2.1.5 extension in PG9.2.8/rhel6
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Hi David,

Thanks for the report, and analysis. I will update the PostGIS packages
to reflect that. It is bad that I did not catch this before.

I want to note that we always *assume* that people are using the latest
version of everything on their machines -- like we don't support RHEL
6.4 anymore :-)

(When I started building the RPMs around 10 years before, I used to
rebuild each RPM on every PostgreSQL update, since I used to maintain
only a few packages. Now, building each package would take significant
amount of time :-( )

Regards, Devrim

postgis2_92-2.1.5-1.rhel6RPM (from http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6.6-x86_64/)

> The error seen with PostgreSQL 9.2.8 installed is as follows:
> geodb=# CREATE EXTENSION postgis;
> ERROR:  could not load library "/usr/pgsql-9.2/lib/postgis-2.1.so": /usr/pgsql-9.2/lib/postgis-2.1.so: undefined
symbol:HeapTupleHeaderGetDatum

> Reverting to the postgis2_92-2.1.3-1.rhel6 RPM (from the same location) allows this to work as expected:
> geodb=# CREATE EXTENSION postgis;
> CREATE EXTENSION
>
> Further investigation indicated that the symbol in question was added in PostgreSQL 9.2.9, and upgrading our
installationfrom PG 9.2.8 to 9.2.9 resolved the problem.

> Putting aside whether or not the PostgreSQL API change in 9.2.9 is in line with minor version change guidelines, it
suggeststhat the postgis2_92-2.1.5 packages (and later) should have an RPM dependency of postgresql92 >= 9.2.9 to avoid
thiserror. There may be similar dependencies in other PG release streams, as it looks like that symbol also appeared
somewherebetween 9.3.0 and 9.3.5 as well.

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Attachment