Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Steinar H. Gunderson", )
    Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Hannu Krosing, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (PFC, )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Alvaro Herrera, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Alvaro Herrera, )
     Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Rod Taylor, )
     Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
      Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Hannu Krosing, )
     Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Josh Berkus, )
      Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Oleg Bartunov, )
      Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Greg Stark, )
    Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (PFC, )
    Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Hannu Krosing, )
     Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Alvaro Herrera, )
      Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Hannu Krosing, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Stacy White", )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Steve Atkins, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Greg Stark, )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (PFC, )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Greg Stark, )
    Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Greg Stark, )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Simon Riggs, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Stacy White", )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Greg Stark, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Yann Michel, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Stacy White", )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Stacy White", )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Hannu Krosing, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Hannu Krosing, )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Bruce Momjian, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Roger Hand", )

Greg Stark <> writes:
> You could argue for some sort of setup where you could take a partition
> "offline" during which you could safely do things like export or manipulate
> the data. But that's awfully limiting. What if I want to do things like add
> columns, or change data types, or any other manipulation that breaks the
> symmetry with the production partitioned table.

[ scrapes eyebrows off ceiling... ]  You don't really expect to be able
to do that kind of thing to just one partition do you?

            regards, tom lane