Re: change data type from text to numeric - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: change data type from text to numeric
Date
List pgsql-general
Daniel Torres wrote
> Hi everyone,
>
> sorry to bother you with a simple question, (I'm a new user of
> postgresql),
> how do I change the data type of a column of text, to numeric or integer?
>
> I tried with:
>
> ALTER TABLE table_name
>  ALTER COLUMN col_name TYPE integer
> ;
>
> It gives me a mistake
> ERROR:  la columna  no puede convertirse automáticamente al tipo integer
> SUGERENCIA:  Especifique una expresión USING para llevar a cabo la
> conversión.
>
> translation: the column can't be converted automatically to type integer
> .... specify an expression using USING to make the conversion.
>
> I also tried on pgadmin3, but couldn't found how to do it...
>
> thanks,
> Daniel

There is a serviceable example of the USING variation of ALTER TABLE ..
ALTER COLUMN in the documentation.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/sql-altertable.html

The simplest conversion is simply "col_name::numeric"...

David J.