Deal with it ! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jean-Paul Argudo
Subject Deal with it !
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi there!

I had the chance to go and speak at the 2014 PostgreSQL Europe
Conference in Madrid. On the very last afternoon, Simon Riggs'talk was
quite inovative.

Yes, PostgreSQL is not only an equivalent of any expensive proprietary
RDBMS, but the most terrific and disruptive RDBMS around, shall it be
Open Source or not !

Since I'm Dalibo's CEO I often have to fight with those
"my-expensive-database-is-the-best" guys in companies and such where I
try to convince people about PostgreSQL. For some years now, I don't say
anymore it's the "equivalent" of their $$$ stuff. I just talk about what
we have that they don't have ("yet" they say ahahah).

Then they don't feel like we're still running towards them, trying to
have the things they have, like our only goal would be to be like them.

No no no... They just feel we overran them. This changes radicaly
things.

When this happen in their eyes, I put back my glasses and think strongly
"DEAL WITH IT".

Yesterday was a rainy non-worked day, and I think It would be good for
me to find a funny way to say that, In a manner each of us can build a
tshirt or any advocacy material with this idea, I found this:

    http://www.argudo.org/~jpargudo/elephant_deal.html

I'm still laughing with it today :-)

About the "NC" stuff, is just I dont want any company associated with
this, including the one I work for :-)

OTOH, I'd be more that happy that non-profits and other PUGS use this to
grab funds.

What do you think of this?

For me the time as come to show the public we're not only the $$$
equivalent.

Cheers,

--
Jean-Paul Argudo