Re: Help with PostgreSQL 9.4 to expand jsonb int array into table with row numbers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: Help with PostgreSQL 9.4 to expand jsonb int array into table with row numbers
Date
List pgsql-general
Neil Tiffin-3 wrote
> Trying to wrap my head around postgresql 9.4 jsonb and would like some
> help figuring out how to do the following.
>
> Given the following example jsonb:
>
>     ‘{“name1” : value1, “name2”    : value2, “name3” : [int1, int2, int3]
> }’::jsonb AS table1.column1
>
> Wanted: Return the “name3” array only, as a table with a return signature
> of
>
>     TABLE( var_name varchar, var_value int, var_row_num int)
>
> So the resulting data would look like this:
>
>     (‘name3’, int1, 1)
>     (‘name3’, int2, 2)
>     (‘name3’, int3, 3)
>
> Assume the array could be any length except zero and ‘name3’ is guaranteed
> to exist.
>
> Also posted on stackoverflow:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26691725/postgresql-9-4-expand-jsonb-int-array-into-table-with-row-numbers

Not syntax checked but...

SELECT 'name3', int_text::integer AS int, int_ord
FROM ( VALUES (...) ) src (column1)
LATERAL ROWS FROM(
json_array_elements(column1->'name3')
) WITH ORDINALITY jae (int_text, int_ord)

Both "WITH ORDINALITY" and "jsonb" are introduced in 9.4; it is possible to
make this work in all supported versions of PostgreSQL through the liberal
use of CTE (WITH) as possibly the generate_series() function.

David J.