Re: DROP COLUMN - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: DROP COLUMN
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> All backend functions would still use real attnum's. And I doubt that
> backend will ever work though system views.
> Adding them should touch _only_ CREATE TABLE, ADD COLUMN, DROP COLUMN
> plus the system views and possibly output from SELECT(*), if we allow
> logical reordering of columns by changing attlognum.

Hmm.  That last point is attractive enough to make it interesting to do.

Christopher, you're the man doing the legwork ... what do you think?
Offhand I'd think that expansion of "SELECT *" and association of
column aliases to specific columns would be the two places that would
need work to support attlognum; but we know they're both broken anyway
by introduction of dropped columns.