Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> ...  (If you expect me to sign off on it you can
>> figure it'll be a couple of months even for that to happen...)

> Well there is one of the problems imho - the project is getting too
> big and the patches are getting too complex for us to be able to rely
> on you to sign off on every feature or major patch. We need put more
> trust in the judgement of the other committers and senior developers
> otherwise the project will simply bottleneck as you get more and more
> overworked.

Well, actually, Bruce and I are pretty much leaving it to Heikki's
judgement as to when this patch will be ready to commit.  He's spent
far more time on it than either of us.  The reason I started this thread
is not to debate when it'll be ready but whether we are prepared to
delay 8.4 for however long it will take, realizing that optimistic
estimates are very likely to be wrong.