Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The standard only covers embedded C programs.  Other interfaces that are
>> covered by other standards require other settings.

> My point was that _the_ standard requires autocommit off, not that
> everyone is using autocommit off.

Peter's point is good: the only interface that is actually subject to the
part of the spec you are quoting is ecpg.  It could reasonably be argued
that libpq should only support autocommit-on, because that's the
historical behavior that programs written atop libpq expect.  The other
client libraries have their own specs to adhere to.