Re: Audit of logout - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: Audit of logout
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane-2 wrote
> Another answer is to make both variables PGC_SIGHUP, on the grounds
> that it doesn't make much sense for them not to be applied system-wide;
> except that I think there was some idea that logging might be enabled
> per-user or per-database using ALTER ROLE/DATABASE.

From a trouble-shooting standpoint if I know that client software in
question is focused on particular users/databases being able to only enable
connection logging for those would make sense.  Whether that is a true
production concern is another matter but the possibility does exist.

I personally do not get how a logoff is a risk auditing event.  Logons and
actual queries I can understand.

For the same reason keeping them separate has merit since for imaginable
circumstances the logoffs are noise but the logons are important - and
forcing them to be on/off in tandem disallows the option to remove the noise
from the logs.

David J.