Re: group commit - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: group commit
Date
List pgsql-performance
Evgeniy Shishkin wrote
> Hi,
>
> i just wanted to know if group commit (as described in
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Group_commit ) was committed.

I guess that depends on whether this comment in the 9.2 release notes covers
the same material described in the linked wiki page (I would presume it
does).

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/release-9-2.html
Section: E.9.3.1.1. Performance

> Allow group commit to work effectively under heavy load (Peter Geoghegan,
> Simon Riggs, Heikki Linnakangas)
>
> Previously, batching of commits became ineffective as the write workload
> increased, because of internal lock contention.

Though based upon your question regarding parallel replication I am thinking
that maybe your concept of "group commit" and the one that was implemented
are quite different...

David J.