Re: char 0x00 - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: char 0x00
Date
List pgsql-docs
Brett Okken <brett.okken.os@gmail.com> writes:
> Using a client and server encoding of SQL_ASCII makes it possible to get
> 0x00 into a text value column when using a bind variable.

Having looked at the code again, I flat out don't believe you.
textin is certainly not going to read past a nul character,
and textrecv goes through pg_client_to_server (via pq_getmsgtext),
which AFAICS is careful in all code paths to reject nuls.

If I'm missing something, I'd really like to see a concrete example,
because this would be a bug, and it'd suggest that somebody's managed
to reopen CVE-2006-2313.  If we're missing nul rejection in some code
path, then we're probably not doing encoding validation at all.

            regards, tom lane