Re: GiST support for inet datatypes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: GiST support for inet datatypes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Florian Pflug <fgp@phlo.org> writes:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the gist of the problem here that
> pg_dump won't explicitly state the operator class if it's the default?

That's not a bug, it's a feature, for much the same reasons that pg_dump
tries to minimize explicit schema-qualification.

At least, it's a feature for ordinary dumps.  I'm not sure whether it
might be a good idea for binary_upgrade dumps.  That would depend on
our policy about whether a new opclass has to have a new (and necessarily
weird) name.  If we try to make the new opclass still have the nicest
name then it won't help at all for pg_dump to dump the old name.