Re: Storage Location Patch Proposal for V7.3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Storage Location Patch Proposal for V7.3
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I think Jim has some very good points here.  What does his
> implementation lack?

Forward compatibility to a future tablespace implementation.
If we do this, we'll be stuck with supporting this feature set,
not to mention this syntax; neither of which have garnered any
support from the assembled hackers.

I went back to look at TODO.detail/tablespaces, and find that it's
badly in need of editing.  Much of the discussion there is
back-and-forthing about the question of naming files by OID,
which is now a done deal.  But it is clear that people wanted to
have a notion of tablespaces as objects somewhat orthogonal to
databases.  I didn't see any support for hard-wiring tablespace
assignments on the basis of "tables here, indexes there", either.