Re: can't connect to postmaster from other machine - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: can't connect to postmaster from other machine
Date
List pgsql-novice
Walter Hop <walter@binity.com> writes:
> Hmmmm... at second thought, I think the "Operation timed out" might be due
> to firewall rules instead (probably on the server box)?

I concur.  The only way you could get that message is if the packets
were being summarily dropped before they got to the postmaster.  I
suspect FOlkeN has ipchains or something similar that's configured
not to allow nonlocal traffic to reach port 5432.  (That is the default
configuration on Red Hat Linux 7.2, for example.  Not sure about OSX.)

            regards, tom lane