Re: restore a pg_dumpall only breaks - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: restore a pg_dumpall only breaks
Date
Re: restore a pg_dumpall only breaks  (Marc Fromm <Marc.Fromm@wwu.edu>)
List pgsql-admin
Marc Fromm <Marc.Fromm@wwu.edu> writes:
> If I use the command "pg_dumpall -c -U postgres | gzip > pg_dbs.gz" to create a backup of all databases from
"postgresql9.2" and then restore it to "postgresql 8.1" on a different server only about the first half of the
databasesare restored with their tables and records. The second half, only the databases themselves are created but
withno tables and no records.

A dump from 9.2 is no sure thing to restore into an 8.1 database; there
may be SQL syntax in it that 8.1 doesn't understand.  Have you checked
for errors during the restore?

            regards, tom lane