Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> But that seems somewhat incidental to what this thread is about.

Perhaps.  But if we're running into issues related to that, it might
be good to set aside the long-term goal for a bit and come up with
a cleaner answer for intra-session locking.  That could allow the
pruning problem to be solved more cleanly in turn, and it'd be
an improvement even if not.

> Do you have a view on what the way forward might be?

I'm fresh out of ideas at the moment, other than having a hope that
divide-and-conquer (ie, solving subproblems first) might pay off.

> This thread has gotten a tad depressing, honestly. All of the opinions
> about what we ought to do seem to be based on the firm conviction that
> X or Y or Z will not work, rather than on the confidence that A or B
> or C will work. Yet I'm inclined to believe this problem is solvable.

Yeah.  We are working in an extremely not-green field here, which
means it's a lot easier to see pre-existing reasons why X will not
work than to have confidence that it will work.  But hey, if this
were easy then we'd have done it already.