Re: Last gasp - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Last gasp
Date
Re: Last gasp  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 04/07/2012 06:33 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>> I hope that that policy will not be applied without some degree of
>> discrimination.

> If we are to have time based releases, then I assume it won't, it will
> be pretty much a hard and fast rule.

> I admit I haven't been a fan in the past, but I can see advantages, not
> least being predictability of release times. It would be nice to be able
> to say "In June" when asked when the next release will be, as I often am.

Just to be clear ... I don't believe that we can have hard-and-fast
*release* dates.  I am suggesting that it might be a good idea to have
a hard deadline for committing new features.  But beta test phase will
take however long it takes.  I don't think shaking out bugs is a
predictable process.