Re: Perfomance degradation 9.3 (vs 9.2) for FreeBSD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Perfomance degradation 9.3 (vs 9.2) for FreeBSD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> If there are indeed such large regressions on FreeBSD we need to treat
> them as postgres regressions. It's nicer not to add config options for
> things that don't need it, but apparently that's not the case here.

> Imo this means we need to add GUC to control wether anon mmap() or sysv
> shmem is to be used. In 9.3.

I will resist this mightily.  One of the main reasons to switch to mmap
was so we would no longer have to explain about SysV shm configuration.
Are we going to still have to explain that, but only for FreeBSD?
No thanks.  It will certainly not be the *first* resort.  Instead,
somebody needs to hold the FreeBSD folks' feet to the fire about when
we can expect to see a fix from their side.