Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From James Bottomley
Subject Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2014-01-13 at 19:48 -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Jan 13, 2014, at 19:03, Hannu Krosing <hannu@2ndQuadrant.com> wrote:

> >> O_DIRECT was specifically designed to solve the problem of double buffering
> >> between applications and the kernel. Why are you not able to use that in these situations?
> > What is asked is the opposite of O_DIRECT - the write from a buffer inside
> > postgresql to linux *buffercache* and telling linux that it is the same
> > as what
> > is currently on disk, so don't bother to write it back ever.
>
> I don’t understand. Are we talking about mmap()ed files here? Why
> would the kernel be trying to write back pages that aren’t dirty?

No ... if I have it right, it's pretty awful: they want to do a read of
a file into a user provided buffer, thus obtaining a page cache entry
and a copy in their userspace buffer, then insert the page of the user
buffer back into the page cache as the page cache page ... that's right,
isn't it postgress people?

Effectively you end up with buffered read/write that's also mapped into
the page cache.  It's a pretty awful way to hack around mmap.

James