is psql treatment of line-endings configurable? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject is psql treatment of line-endings configurable?
Date
List pgsql-general
Using psql 9.3 against a 9.0 server.

I send queries to the server via a windows based client which uses and sends
"\r\n" for the newline.  When running this query:

SELECT procpid, current_query, client_addr, xact_start, query_start FROM
pg_stat_activity

The contents of current_query display as:

|<query>\r    +|
|<line two of query - blank if query is only a single line>| --the client
always sends a trailing "\r\n"

This is likely to yield a "use psql" type response and while I'd likely
forgive superfluous newlines generally the presence of the "\r" is less
tolerable (though only mildly annoying in this specific use-case) since psql
should at least attempt to be cross-compatible friendly and swallowing up
the \r along with the \n doesn't seem like it would be that challenging.

Is this just an oversight for a situation few -hackers encounter or is there
a conscious decision to leave the "\r" alone in this situation?

Aside, does/can psql (or postgres itself in storing current_query) attempt
to remove trailing newlines in situations like this?

Thanks!

David J.