Re: what could cause inserts getting queued up and db locking?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: what could cause inserts getting queued up and db locking??
Date
List pgsql-general
Brian Maguire <bmaguire@vantage.com> wrote:
>> We though there might be locking, but noticed that there were not any
>> queries in wait mode indicating that no statements were blocked by
>> another statement's lock.

In that case it's not a locking problem, but just a resource-saturation
problem.  I'm wondering if you are maxing out your disk drives'
throughput.

Are the slowdowns correlated with checkpoints?  (Watch to see if there
is a postmaster child process spawned for checkpointing when it
happens.)  Fooling with checkpoint intervals might help some, though
I suspect the only real answer will be 8.0's background-writer feature.

            regards, tom lane