Re: Fast insertion indexes: why no developments - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Leonardo Francalanci
Subject Re: Fast insertion indexes: why no developments
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Hmm, you realise Alvaro is working on MinMax indexes in this release?

> They are very efficient with regard to index inserts and specially
> designed for use on large tables.
>
> Prior work by Heikki on Grouped Item Tuples was a way of reducing the
> size of indexes, yet still allowing uniqueness checks. That is
> implemented in SQLServer already and is very useful.

Ah! Didn't know that!

> Your comment about the lack of development in indexes seems counter to
> the literature that I've seen. The main problem is people keep
> patenting things, making it fairly difficult for everyone.

Mmh, maybe I wasn't clear: I meant lack of development (maybe I should have said "implementation"?) in postgresql and
inthe other "sql databases" of the fast-insertion indexes you can find in literature.