Re: Uninstall postgresql 9.2 on red hat linux - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Thara Vadakkeveedu
Subject Re: Uninstall postgresql 9.2 on red hat linux
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,
I tried the following command. No luck.
# su - postgres
-bash-4.1$ /usr/pgsql-9.2/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/lib/pgsql/9.2/data -l logfile start
server starting
-bash-4.1$ pwd
/var/lib/pgsql/9.2
-bash-4.1$ vi pgstartup.log

The startup file is empty.
Can you please point me to the uninstaller ? This is a fairly new install. I don't have any data to save.
I'd like to uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks,
Thara.

From: raghu ram <raghuchennuru@gmail.com>
To: Thara Vadakkeveedu <tharagv@yahoo.com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice@postgresql.org" <pgsql-novice@postgresql.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:22 PM
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Uninstall postgresql 9.2 on red hat linux

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 5:27 AM, Thara Vadakkeveedu <tharagv@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi
I am new to postgresql. I have postgresql 9.2 installed on Red hat linux 6.4
I accidentally deleted data directory this morning (/var/lib/postgresql/9.2/data)

I tried to start posgresql 9.2 service
"service postgresql-9.2 start"

I got a message to initialize the db first.

so I ran "service postgresql-9.2 initdb"

This was successful.

Then I tried "service postgresql-9.2 start"
This failed.

pgstartup.log indicated I can start the database server using:
    /usr/pgsql-9.2/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/9.2/data
or
    /usr/pgsql-9.2/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/lib/pgsql/9.2/data -l logfile start
However I  am unable to start the service as root.

That is the only account I use on this server. I am not aware of any other account on this server.
I tried  su - postgres
and then from the bash shell I tried to run these commands (tried one at a time)
but I got the message  that address was in use. There are no processes running on 5432.

How can I start postgres service?

Could you please try to start the PostgreSQL Service using "postgres" user.

su - postgres

/usr/pgsql-9.2/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/lib/pgsql/9.2/data -l logfile start

Once you executed above commands,please share the output messages along with log file for further investigation.

Thanks & Regards,
Raghu Ram