Re: upgrade from 9.2.x to 9.3 causes significant performance degradation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: upgrade from 9.2.x to 9.3 causes significant performance degradation
Date
Re: upgrade from 9.2.x to 9.3 causes significant performance degradation  (Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com> wrote:

> top shows over 90% of the load is in sys space.  vmstat output
> seems to suggest that its CPU bound (or bouncing back & forth):

Can you run `perf top` during an episode and see what kernel
functions are using all that CPU?

This looks similar to cases I've seen of THP defrag going wild.
Did the OS version or configuration change?  Did the PostgreSQL
memory settings (like shared_buffers) change?

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com