Re: Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Patrick Dung
Subject Re: Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>
To: Patrick Dung <patrick_dkt@yahoo.com.hk>
Cc: "pgsql-general@postgresql.org" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>; Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>; Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2013 2:05 AM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL

Hi Stephen,

>Patrick,
>
>* Patrick Dung (patrick_dkt@yahoo.com.hk) wrote:
>> I think the documentation could put a note at the beginning for new users.
>
>Yes, probably true.  Feel free to propose specific improvements.

As pg_upgrade already has a fast and disk saving method (using link) for major upgrade, I think it deserve to be mention the pros and cons (if any) in the documentation. I think others users on the list had impression (look at the previous mail on this thread) that pg_upgrade 'must' require double storage space for major upgrade.

>> 2. Also I think the documentation should provide more info for users that use packages.
>> Most likely the system would do dependency checking and may refuse two install two versions at the same time.
>> So uses need to install the new version in another location.
>> More documentation should be provided for this part (e.g for users using Linux rpm/deb or FreeBSD ports).
>
>This should really be up to the packaging systems to handle as it
>depends on which OS and which packages you're using..

For FreeBSD, this was discussed on the mailing list one year ago.
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2012-September/078543.html

>> 3. But the way, if users is using Windows, is the link option still works?
>
>Don't think so, but not sure.  pg_upgrade could be made to work in a
>truely "in-place" method if there's demand for it and someone wants to
>work on it.  It'd clearly be a bit more *dangerous*, of course..
>
>    Thanks,
>
>        Stephen

Ivan Voras has replied that the link method work fine in Windows on another thread.

Thanks,
Patrick