Re: Will This Work? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Will This Work?
Date
List pgsql-novice
gene.poole wrote
> When I create a Oracle 11gR2 database we initially use the netca and dbca
> utilities to create the basic database files and network connections.
> Afterwards we run a bash script to create the application database detail
> files.  We use this bash script to define certain files on specific raid-1
> file systems.
> How would we do this using PostgreSQL?

The PostgreSQL documentation is quite good in covering this stuff though a
number of items end up being distro-specific with additional information
available elsewhere.

I'd suggest forgetting about the fact you are migrating an existing
application to PostgreSQL and approach it from a fresh-start perspective and
learn generally how PostgreSQL operates.  Once you have a feel for how
things correlate the migration should go much more smoothly.

EnterpriseDB (with whom I am in no way affiliated) seems to have setup a
focus for itself in supporting Oracle to PostgreSQL migrations.  Other's may
be capable as well but they, IMHO, at least have done the best job marketing
that niche...

> What is the version of PostgreSQL
> you would suggest running on RHEL 5.9 x86_64?

The most recent version usually - 9.3;  9.2 if you dislike .0 releases.
Since you are migrating I'd suggest 9.3 regardless because by the time you
are ready it'll probably be at least a .2 release.

> If I wanted to move from
> Oracle to PostgreSQL is it possible to use a Oracle export DMP file to
> load the PostgreSQL database?

No clue; though doubtful.  Even if technically capable of being used for an
import inherent language differences would likely cause the SQL commands to
fail.  Again, this is a problem that has already been addressed and I would
generally advise paying for someone else's experience rather than trying to
figure it out on your own while asking for no-charge help from the
community.

Disclosure: I have only minimal scanned the net for this kind of material,
and have never used any of it myself.

David J.