Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date
In response to Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian escribi�:
>> Which is where my 'wal_keep_segments = -1' idea came from.

> Are you suggesting that -1 should mean "keep all segments that fit on
> disk, but if creating a new segment fails with ENOSPC, recycle the
> oldest one"?

No, keep means keep.  Even if there were some arguable use for "keep if
you can", a scheme like that would render the machine unusable ---
everything else on the same filesystem would be falling over.