Re: Hash index use presently(?) discouraged since 2005: revive or bury it? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Hash index use presently(?) discouraged since 2005: revive or bury it?
Date
Re: Hash index use presently(?) discouraged since 2005: revive or bury it?  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Re: Hash index use presently(?) discouraged since 2005: revive or bury it?  (Stefan Keller <sfkeller@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-performance
> HM, what if you junked the current hash indexam, and just implemented
> a wrapper over btree so that the 'hash index' was just short hand for
> hashing the value into a standard index?

Surely creating such a wrapper would be *more* work than adding WAL
support to the hash AM.

I'm not entirely following this eagerness to junk that AM, anyway.
We've put a lot of sweat into it over the years, in the hopes that
it would eventually be good for something.  It's on the edge of
being good for something now, and there's doubtless room for more
improvements, so why are the knives out?

            regards, tom lane