Re: postgresql.auto.conf and reload - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgresql.auto.conf and reload
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 6:40 AM, Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz>
> wrote:
>> Yes, but even well behaved users will see this type of error, because
>> initdb uncomments certain values (ones that are dead certs for being
>> changed via ALTER SYSTEM subsequently like shared_buffers), and then -
>> bang! your next reload gets that "your postgresql.conf contains errors"
>> message.

> That is the reason, why I have suggested up-thread that uncommented
> values should go to postgresql.auto.conf, that will avoid any such
> observations for a well-behaved user.

Uh, what?  That sounds like you are proposing that postgresql.conf itself
is a dead letter.  Which is not going to fly.  We had that conversation
already.

The right way to fix this is just to avoid processing entries that get
overridden later in the configuration file scan.  That won't cause anyone
to get upset about how their old habits no longer work.