Re: Avahi support for Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Avahi support for Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-patches
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias@openismus.com> writes:
> Oh, that difference is really interesting. I didn't even see it.

> DNS-SD uses the convention "_<protoname>._<type>" to describe services,
> and that's the convention Avahi follows. I don't know why the Bonjour
> API uses that trailing dot, but it seems wrong:

Is removing that dot going to create compatibility problems for us?
If it means that an 8.3 client wouldn't find an 8.4 server, for
instance, I don't think that's going to be acceptable.  Do we need
to "listen" on both names (whatever the heck that means in zeroconf)?

            regards, tom lane