Re: TAP test breakage on MacOS X - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: TAP test breakage on MacOS X
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2014-10-30 19:53:54 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, for example, you don't have and don't want to install IPC::Run.

> Well, that's what the hypothetical configure test is for. I see little
> reason in this specific case to do anything more complicated than check
> for prove and IPC::Run in configure and use them if necessary.

As I said upthread, that approach seems to me to be contrary to the
project policy about how configure should behave.  If you have selected
(or, someday, defaulted to) --enable-tap-tests, configure should *fail*
if you don't have the tools to run the tests.  Not silently disable tests
that we have decided are valuable.  How exactly would that be different
from silently omitting readline support if we don't find that library?