Re: Materialized views WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Materialized views WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Nicolas Barbier <nicolas.barbier@gmail.com> wrote:

> PS. Sorry for having fired off this discussion that obviously
> doesn’t really relate to the current patch.

I know it's hard to resist.  While I think there will be a number
of people for whom the current patch will be a convenience and will
therefore use it, it is hard to look at what's there and *not* go
"if only it also..."

Perhaps it would be worth looking for anything in the patch that
you think might be painting us into a corner where it would be hard
to do all the other cool things.  While it's late enough in the
process that changing anything like that which you find would be
painful, it might be a lot more painful later if we release without
doing something about it.  My hope, of course, is that you won't
find any such thing.  With this patch I've tried to provide a
minimal framework onto which these other things can be bolted.
I've tried hard not to do anything which would make it hard to
extend, but new eyes may see something I missed.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company