Re: About Page Draft - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: About Page Draft
Date
List pgsql-www
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Michael,
>> A couple of weeks ago I started putting together some general text for
>> the About Page. No one asked me to do it, and it's not perfect, and
>> certainly you don't have to use it, but it interested me and I just
>> thought I would try to do what I could to help out.

> Wow, nice!   Thanks so much for doing this, it's worlds of improvement over
> our old Advocacy text.  Really nice.

Yeah, it looks great.  I looked through it for technical errors and
didn't find much of anything wrong.  One point is that the FAQ lists the
max table size as 32TB not 16TB.  The issue there is whether BlockNumber
is treated as unsigned everywhere it needs to be.  I believe that it is,
but I haven't heard from anyone who's actually tested tables > 16TB ...

Also, you should probably not list me as one of the "original"
major developers; the other four came several years before I did.

> 2) Drop "Hash" from the list of indexes.   While we do support them, we
> specifically recommend against them in the docs.

I disagree with this.  It's in the code and the docs; it will look like
an omission if it's not listed.

> More copy-edits later.

It does need spelling and copyedit work, but that's no problem.

Nice work ... thanks again!

            regards, tom lane