Re: XML Schema for PostgreSQL database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: XML Schema for PostgreSQL database
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 2012-12-16 at 22:25 -0200, Edson Richter wrote:
> Em 16/12/2012 20:27, Guillaume Lelarge escreveu:
> >> I don't really care about output - SVG would be excellent, because it
> >> scales well and will print nicely.
> >> I can tell that a data dictionary with diagramming output would be
> >> enough. If I can edit the data dictionary and system keep track of all
> >> changes, would be enough for me.
> >> If PgAdmin would have the ability to maintain a data dictionary that is
> >> not the database itself, and plus the feature to "synchronize with
> >> database" (which would be any PostgreSQL database registered) would be
> >> optimal for me.
> >>
> > We had something pretty good like this called the Database Designer.
> > There are still some works to make it available on a next release.
> >
> > You can also try pgModeler. Seems really cool. Too bad it doesn't (yet?)
> > do reverse engineering.
> >

> I'm looking forward for pgModeler. Reverse and Forward engineering (with
> true alter scripts) are an requirement for me.
> Visual design is desirable, but not mandatory.
> Where can I look Database Designer?

It's part of pgAdmin 1.16, but you need to compile pgAdmin with a
specific command line switch.

>  Which platform (or language it's written)?

Platform: Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, and even Solaris IIRC.
Language: C++

> Maybe I can help with development, why start a new effort?

Sure, I'll be happy to have some help on this.

> I've strong Java programming expertise (> 15yrs), and also have worked
> with dozen different languages before.

pgAdmin is written in C++ and uses the wxWidgets toolkit. So no Java
here, sorry.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info